Thursday, November 11, 2010

When Sleep Started Running My Life.

I've always been a night owl and a morning sleeper. Going to bed no earlier than 1 a.m. and waking up a little past 12 p.m. or even 1 p.m. on weekends. College didn't help my issue either with classes that were offered at 10:30 a.m. the earliest. Those mornings were met with coffee from the on-campus Einstein Bros. after literally rolling out of bed.

But the thing is, I functioned... very well actually. When I was awake, I was awake. I would study all day and retain the information, I would speak eloquently and respectfully. I didn't have mood swings, I payed attention, and fully comprehended every conversation I had.

However, it's not the case anymore. Sleep has begun to run my life. If I don't get my full 8+ hours a night, I become zombie-like the next day. It gets hard to focus and it takes me longer to do everything. Studying, thinking, and I get writers block- which is always the worst thing. I am simply not fully alert the entire day.

So I checked the Sleep Foundation Web site and found that Adults need about 7-9 hours every night and it looks like we need less sleep the older we get. Check out the chart listed:

How Much Sleep Do You Really Need
At the ripe age of 22, my sleeping patterns have started to considerably matter. It's no wonder every one speaks fondly about their college years. The years where the weekend started on Thursday and going to bed at 3 a.m. was just another day. When school was first priority and yet personal freedom flowed wildly without remorse. I have never neglected my studies and I graduated last December proud of my achievements.

However, while working my 9-5 (which is actually an 8:30 -5:30), my bed time is at 11:30 p.m. and going to sleep any later holds its consequences. Today, unfortunately is one of those days and I have learned my lesson.

To all of those struggling through Thursday along with me, tomorrow is Friday and it's quite possibly the best day of the week. Hang in there! We can do this.

Happy Thursday and I hope you have a great weekend.

For me, my weekend will consist of applications and portfolio perfecting... and, of course, sleep. :) I'm excited!

Till next time,

The New Ad Grad.

No comments:

Post a Comment