Tuesday, March 15, 2011

High School Students Protest Radio Station for Local Artist OhGinelle

High School Students Organize to Protest Local Radio Station
By: ERICA BASS


A group of 11 protestors organized peacefully outside the Power 96 radio station in Miami on Monday, Feb. 21, to hear local artist, OhGinelle, on the radio. The protest lasted from 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., and it consisted of students from Miramar and Blanche Ely high schools, as well as friends from the surrounding areas.


Tyriah Brooks, 18, a Blanch Ely High School senior from Coconut Creek, grew tired of the overplayed, national artists on the radio. She wanted to hear OhGinelle’s song, “Liar,” instead and sent out a mass text message to family and friends for their help.


“They play artists like Katy Perry, who doesn’t live here and wasn’t born here,.” Brooks said. “It was just time for a change.”


Even in the face of opposition, Brooks and her supporters held up signs to the chant of “Play OhGinelle!” and handed out her demo CD.


OhGinelle’s music and lyrics are catchy, and we have something in common, Brooks said.


OhGinelle, 23, a singer-songwriter with a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice from Everest University, was home in Pompano Beach and unaware of the event taking place in her honor. She learned about it from a Tweet on Twitter.


“I was confused at first because I had no idea what was going on,” OhGinelle said. “It was a total surprise.”


I called the station multiple times asking for them to play the song “Liar” and all anyone said was ‘No, we can’t do that,’ Brooks said. Why? What’s the harm in doing that? “My little cousin, my little sister, we all sing to it and they know the song by heart, better than I do.” We just wanted to hear it on the radio.


Brooks plans to attend college next year for political science or graphic design. She uses her art to connect with the local artist. I found OhGinelle about three years ago on MySpace, Brooks said. When I sent her some of my artwork she used it in her promotional material.


Tyriah is a really talented graphic designer, OhGinelle said. To show my appreciation I always put her art on my Web site and post her pictures. I have also used them for Web banners and on the cover of my demo CDs.


OhGinelle encourages me to do graphic design and inspires me because she always tells me that I’m talented, Brooks said. Brooks also focuses on community service, something that OhGinelle also finds important. OhGinelle is someone my friends and I can relate to and that’s important to us, said Brooks. We have one goal: to hear her song on the radio.


Brooks plans to join another peaceful protest to stop Gov. Rick Scott from taking 5 percent of state employees’ paychecks to contribute to their pensions and to help balance the Florida state budget.


I practice my first amendment right of free speech because I think it is the most important, said Brooks. It gives people the right to voice what they believe in and try to make change that’s beneficial.


OhGinelle’s next show will be March 18 and April 1 at the Miami-Dade County Fair. She has been with her manager, Mishka Brown, for four years. She is not yet under a label.


For more information about OhGinelle and to hear her single “Liar” visit www.OhGinelle.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment