Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Sesame Street Comeback: My Latest Obsession

The other day, while watching television, procrastinating and not writing my eight-page mid-term paper, I became obsessed with yet another commercial. This time however, it was more than just a compelling ad- it was personal enjoyment. The visuals were eye-catching and intriguing, and the audio was familiar. "Weird," I thought to myself, "how do I know this song?" By my second exposure I was singing along and quite enjoying myself, I couldn't wait to tell you about it.


Now, I present to you the Delta Pilar Kitchen Faucet with Touch20 Technology "Hands" commercial, which first aired July 13. Created by Leo Burnett North America (Chicago agency) for Masco Corporation with vocals by none other than Count von Count from Sesame Street!





Every time I see this ad I get so excited! Having been a Sesame Street kid, it brings me back to the good ol' days of rubber duckies and cookie monsters. And, it's not that I'm obsessed with my youth or the song, but that now I want the faucet- the commercial has sold me completely. Now, that's how you know it' s a great commercial. And, I'm not the only one who seems to think so. Ace Metrix, a company that calculates an ad's creative effectiveness using their Ace Score measurment based on two categories, persuasian and watchability, ranked the "Messy Hands" ad #1 for the quarter which ended Sept. 30. Out of a possible 900 points, "Hands" received an Ace Score of 705, a Persuasian score of 758 and a wachability score of 628. The linked site also mentions that the ad scored highest with women age 36-49- a category I don't fall into, but that's a moot point. (Well, if you count the fact that I'm 21, not a homeowner and therefore would have no place to stick my newely aquired faucet, then I guess it might not be a moot point honestly...well reguardless, I might just try to convince my mother to get one so I can live through her.)


The faucet hype is everywhere, winning consumer praise left and right. Another blogspot blog titled Pixie of Plumbing wrote her entire entry on the Delta Pilar faucet with, I presume, the intention to sell the product. But a huge chunk of the entry is how amazing the faucet is from a consumer perspective.
"Delta's convenient Touch 20 technology allows you to turn on the faucet with a simple tap allowing you to cut back on cleaning, the spread of bacteria and gives you the freedom to use your hands for more important tasks in the kitchen. As if that isn't amazing enough, the Delta Pilar also gives you the convenience of a pull down faucet with spray and stream modes that remembers the water flow and temperature in between taps allowing you to save water and time. I can't say enough about the Delta Pilar faucet!"
As excited as she is about the faucet, you could say I am just as, if not more passionate about the ad. Without the 30 second masterpiece, I would probably have seen the faucet in a department store, thought to myself, "wow, that's pretty cool," and then kept on shopping without giving the faucet another thought. I may have mentioned the new technology to someone in passing, but that's about it.

Leo Burnett, himself, said:
"The greatest thing to be achieved in advertising, in my opinion, is believability, and nothing is more believable than the product itself."
And, it seems to me that the agency is still following his great philosophies. From the agency with its' creator who brought you the Marlboro Man, the Jolly Green Giant, Tony the Tiger, and the Pillsbury Doughboy, now brings you the Delta Pilar faucet with Touch20 Technology. (OK, maybe relating the faucet to pop-culture product icons is a stretch, but the magnificence of what the Leo Burnett agency has produced needed to be presented.)


This ad may not go down in future pop-culture history, but its audio/visual certainly brings back a childhood almost forgotten, while showing the amazing benefits of the product new for today. So I say, get your hands dirty, do an art project, bake some bread, go play in Mudfest; the Delta Pilar faucet is here to clean you up, while minimizing the clean-up mess. What a product, what a solution, what a commercial!

Till next time,
The New Ad Grad

No comments:

Post a Comment