Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Consumer Generated Ads Are Better Than Ever

Since my last entry I have had the hardest time finding something new and exciting to write about. It's not that I haven't been watching my prime-time TV shows or scouting out billboards on the highway or that I have just stopped being aware of what's around me (because let's face it, ads are everywhere whether we look for them or not). No ad caught my attention and nothing was worth writing about- I had hit a wall and could not find a single ad I was passionate about... until last night.

While watching my newest prime-time ABC drama "V", a single commercial caught my eye and held my attention. The 30 second spot is like a mini film with a charming song, various plot segments, and screen shots that skip every couple of frames. The result is playful and enticing- the only option is to watch, memorized as it unfolds. It begs the question: "What will happen next?" and the only option is to follow it through the very end. The ad is a novel, which is quite appropriate given the product: the Amazon Kindle.

Personally, I believe this is one of the best ads I have seen in a long time. It creates a world where the product remains in the spotlight, has a functional message and there is full ad recall in a single exposure (with me anyway- you now too!). After seeing the spot, glued to the couch and excited I had finally found an ad to write about, I could not help but wonder what advertising agency held the Amazon account. After a little research I found my answer and the ad became more impressive still. It's consumer generated. This is the winning commercial of the "Your Amazon Ad Contest", entitled "Kindilicious" by Angela Kohler of Los Angeles, California. It won both the Jury and Audience Prizes.



A Sept. article on AdAge suggests that consumers have created "commercials better, and more charming, than many professional ads on TV now." It also tells about a book, The Chaos Scenario, published on AdReview about the "digital revolution" and the "death of advertising." Besides the concern that consumer generated advertising will cause traditional advertising to become obsolete, I am still thoroughly impressed and cannot get over the fact that there was no agency involved.

The star of the spot, Annie Little, also sings the background song, "Fly Me Away," which is free to download on Amazon for a limited time. The piano music mixed with her tune collide to match the charm of the spot. Watch it carefully and you can see multiple shots were taken of her laying on the ground in various positions with different props that surround her to create the illusion of falling and movement. It's brilliant. So much in fact that I have nothing more to say. It's eye-catching, captivating, flirty and fun. It's a brilliant ad that completely resonates with consumers and connects them to the brand.

Brand perception matters. This spot is Amazin Kindle success.

Till next time,
The New Ad Grad

No comments:

Post a Comment